Monday, December 12, 2011

"Family History, I am [not] doing it"

So, I just read Elder Bednar's talk from the October 2011 General Conference-"The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn". To say I feel guilty about not doing family history is an understatement. BUT, I went onto the youth family history website he mentions (lds.org/familyhistoryyouth) and found this cool website. I took a family history class last summer on campus but couldn't tell very easily where to help out. Well, on the website, there is a video showing you an easy way to tell where holes are in your family history work. All you have to do is go to createfan.com and login to your family search (same as your lds account) and press create and it makes it. Here is the video that explains it and shows you why it's useful. It took not even 2 minutes to do. So...you should do it too! :) Then you could know where to start helping with family history as well...just sayin.
Video: https://lds.org/youth/family-history/serve?lang=eng#see-my-family-tree.

Why should you do this and get started?
Elder Bednar promises these blessings for participating in family history work:

"As you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives."

Wow! I love too, he says that it's no coincidence that we are here now on the earth. He says how our fingers that are trained to text and tweet is no accident and that these skills are a blessing that we can give in order to further the kingdom of God on earth. Way cool. Just sayin. So, this is why we should do it. 
Go ahead, go read his talk. You know you want to feel ultra guilty as well. :)
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script